Thursday, July 21, 2005

…… Each evening I continued to stroll the exhausting (!) half a block to Jardiniere to be fed fine food and have drinks poured for me by bar staff who knew my name, asked me how my day had been and how long I was staying (simply, I’m sure, on the basis that I was keeping their boss happy, as opposed to any desire to continue enjoying my company!).

On Wednesday, once Shana had finished at work, we strolled down to the renovated ferry building, enjoyed cocktails and met more of her restaurant trade friends. I was on a mission to compare mojitos across the city (Katherine/Col – Shana knows the ‘Mojito story’ of Kate G. and I, now she really does have an idea of the loon she is involved with). Despite buying food for a quiet night in, we hatched a last minute plan – why not go camping?! Neither of us are short on spontaneity it seems, so after goodbye drinks at Jardiniere we threw the tent in the back of the truck and headed for Point Reyes.

We arrived in the dark, pitched the tent and cooked salmon over an open fire (salmon- we’re just classy birds I guess !). As usual in these parts raccoons attempted to join us (and a cat that beat them all on girth size), although they seemed unimpressed by the balsamic vinegar (no taste, clearly a Big Mac fan). Campsites in America (well, the 2 I’ve stayed at) are much more orderly than those I have experienced in the UK, none of this ‘there’s the field, pitch your tent anywhere’ malarkey. In the US there’s a space for your tent, a parking bay (cars must be factored into every activity in this country, they seem to be as necessary as a pulse!), picnic table, fire pit and a lockable cupboard to keep the wildlife from your jam and toothpaste. Very civilised.

The next day we followed a beautiful wooded trail to the ocean. Although, I must admit to a longing for a hiking route that requires a compass and doesn’t involve trails that you could drive a bus down, I quite like the challenge of getting lost occasionally. A fabulous blue sky was complemented by an amazing view, and then it was a brisk walk home and a drive to the airport.

I’m sure you can imagine the rest of the story, I won’t dwell on it. The ‘movie’ had a typically filmic goodbye. I wonder how many internationally flavoured ‘gay goodbyes’ have occurred at San Francisco Airport. The airport staff probably reach the week following Pride and take bets as to how many will occur !! (update, we both have air tickets to New York and will meet up in September).

2 Comments:

At July 24, 2005 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Kate, now you've done it. A "trail you could drive a bus down"! You will suffer for that one. I am going to make you do one of the most miserable hikes to the driest waterfall you have ever seen. 6miles up, watching out for rattlesnakes, and 6 miles down- you may lose a toe nail or two. kisskiss- shana

 
At July 28, 2005 12:23 AM, Blogger KP said...

The challenge is on Madam, I'm sure I can find a route or two over here that will make your eyes water !! I look forward to any challenge you throw my way :) Love ya Xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home