Sunday, July 31, 2005

Friday 15th July.

We were spending another night at John Snr’s before I departed and boy were we in for a treat! That night there was a local Mardi Gras parade and it passed right by the front door. It was hysterical. Made up mainly of fire crews (there was a convention in town – as ya do !) it lasted all of 10 minutes but provided fabulous entertainment. Many of the fire crews are volunteers and clearly aren’t equipped to deal with physically demanding work on a full time basis (well, any basis at all). I doubt they could rescue a cat stuck in a tree let alone stop a blaze from destroying a building. I have never seen such large people in uniforms, accompanied by women so old I figured they had been resurrected from the local cemetery just to bolster the numbers. Chunky (I feel the need to be kind after all they do volunteer their free time) firefighters rode in circles down the street on …….. lawn mowers. A large number of floats had the theme of burning privys (is this common in the whole of the US or is it just upstate New York that this occurs a lot? Either way I will think twice before using an outdoor toilet!). After 10 minutes of laughter and numerous sarcastic comments were passed back and forth between John and I, we reluctantly admitted that it was over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home