Saturday, July 30, 2005

OK, I’m back ……….

11th July onwards.

Where was I , oh yes, a traumatic night in Seattle airport was followed by 2 flights to Albany. I don’t know how I do it but I always end up sitting next to the least chatty people on the plane, I don’t expect their life story, nor do I expect them to become my therapist for the length of the flight, but a bit of pre take off banter would be nice. Anyway, the flights spent in silence came to an end and as I walked through arrivals at Albany David and John were waiting, camera at the ready to get a shot of the traveller. It was wonderful to see them, we had got on so well in Dallas and as I expected we slotted straight into easy conversation and jokes about John’s family. Then my ‘party trick’ of the week reared its head for the first time. I have no idea why but every time I got into the car I fell asleep. It didn’t matter where we were going or how long the journey was, without fail I would get into the car, fasten my seat belt and within minutes my head was lolling, my mouth was open and I away with the fairies, it never failed !!!

We were spending the night at John’s fathers house. It is right on the bank of the Hudson river with its own jetty. A beautiful spot to have a bbq, knock back a beer or two and fend off the attentions of the, erm, well, non too attractive Georgia, John Snr’s Boston Terrier. I got to bore John and David with talk of a certain young woman, find out what they had been up to and get eaten alive by mosquitos (I’d forgotten about the damn things and wasn’t happy to find they had the ability to eat through my linen pants. Next time I come to this country I’m spending the two weeks before bathing in mosquito repellent and wearing a wet suit for the whole trip, it might not be the biggest turn on but at least I won’t be the ‘chef’s special’ !).

The following morning we drove to Cape Cod (yes, I slept for most of the journey), made our way to the Eventide Motel in Wellfleet (a lovely clean place that I would recommend). We headed straight for the trail behind the property that would take us to the beach and set off on a leisurly walk. All was well until we decided to change from the bike track we were following to the footpath that took us through the trees. HUGE HUGE mistake. John and I were attacked by swarms of ………. You got it, mosquitos. I swear it was like The Birds in miniature, we were covered in the *%@king things. I was wearing a vest top and by the time we had escaped my back looked like an ordnance survey map for the alps. We made our way to a beautiful white sandy beach and spent a couple of hours walking along the shoreline, spotting seals and David identifying birds and shell life (the guy has a mind like an encyclopedia, his brain seems to work like a sponge, it’s most impressive). It was wonderful to take off my shoes and paddle through the water, although I have to admit it was kind of hard, beach walks like that should be done holding someone’s hand. Sorry John you’re a handsome chap and you do come from Texas, but your voice is a little too deep !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home