Saturday, July 23, 2005

I had wanted to spend some time in Stanley Park and we set off to explore some of its trails. However, its HUGE. 10 minutes in we kept getting lost. Eventually we found ourselves at the path that follows the sea wall. It’s an incredibly popular area and hundreds of cyclists and skaters made their way past us and other walkers on a very well managed path. I would have loved to hire skates and wobble my way round (I’m not very graceful but I always enjoy myself!). After a while we realised we had gone too far to turn back, I didn’t mind, I was hungry but there is a pretty and restful view all the way around the path. It was also great fun to watch the tandems cycle by; 9 times out of 10 the rear cyclist would be a young woman completely inappropriately dressed, her head resting against her boyfriends back and her feet no where near the pedals. We kept going, and kept going……. It seemed to last forever because by this time we were starving. By the time we made it to the end and staggered into a restaurant we were incapable of speech and were about ready to pass out.. We then hung out at the beach for a while where I kept falling asleep, I couldn’t help it, I was exhausted and the sound of water is not unlike a lullaby!
Next stop was a drag king event at Lick , ‘Wild Things – Twisted Drag Show’ was a fundraiser for the East Vancouver SPCA (an animal charity, there were a lot of jokes about pussy’s, say no more!). They finally appeared on stage at 12 and it was all over by 12.30. I have to say I’ve never quite got this lip synching thing. I figure if you can’t sing, don’t pretend to, go find another talent. We all have one even if its just hanging a spoon off the end of our nose at least it’s genuine and doesn’t rely on borrowing the talents (in this case vocal) of somebody else. Mini rant over.

Sunday was relaxed and involved food and then a bus to Seattle airport where I would fly to Albany. The bus trip was uneventful, unless you include the US border where the dog sniffing our luggage decided it needed a few return trips to mine. The bus driver was very amusing (once you’d learnt to decipher his accent), on the subject of fruit; “if you don’t declare any fruit you have they will fine you a couple of hundred dollars and it will be the most expensive fruit you never got to eat. If you declare it you have two options, one, they will let you eat it there and then, or two, they will throw it away for you. So if you have any watermelons I suggest you start eating them now”. Well, he made me laugh.

I had planned to spend the night at Seattle airport, my bank account had been completely drained by this point and I was worried about maxing out my credit card. It wasn’t the best nights sleep I’ve never had. Below are the comments from my journal:

Got about an hours restless sleep on a bench. Now I’m tired cold and grumpy. I’m tired of American security, even when it’s reasonable it feels unreasonable (kind of like the little boy who cried wolf scenario). My own country just got bombed and even I think this place is paranoid. I want a shower, a comfy bed, decent food, or even just crap food that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, and conversation that doesn’t consist of “I’m disabled and they wouldn’t come from behind the desk to help me”. You’re disabled because you’re fat madam, learn to eat less burgers.

I knew I was back in America (with the exception of California) the minute I got off the bus in Seattle: A disturbingly large proportion of people were disturbingly large. It’s worse when you see it in the kids (it is the parents responsibility). Over weight kids with pale unhealthy skin. Initially I assumed that they would be teased at school, then I realised they are probably the norm.

I must be getting old; Bon Jovi blaring out of the speakers at 4am only makes me want to kill someone. I’m assuming that the attitude of the coffee stand staff is ‘we’re awake so we’re damned well making sure you are’.

There’s a two and a half foot dragon, wearing pyjamas wandering around the coffee shop. That kid has parents with a great sense of humour – either that or my lack of sleep is playing with my mind. I want that outfit. The claw gloves alone would give me hours of entertainment.


What is it with this bloody country and sales tax ? Just add it to the damned price on the label will you. Like that would be too much to ask

Hmmm, I’m not good when I’m tired, clearly !!!!

1 Comments:

At July 23, 2005 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a night in the airport, you're entitled!

Glad you enjoyed Vancouver. Next to SF it's my favorite city (so far ;) in the world. Getting lost in Stanley Park is a *tradition* Kate, as is ending up starving after making the whole sea wall trek. You've definitely acquired some fabulous memories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home